What is Electro-Fusion?
Electro-Fusion is a method for joining HDPE and other plastic pipes by passing electric current to the conductive coil embedded in the fittings also called Couplings. This causes the pipes and Fittings to melt homogenously creating strong joints which can withstand high pressure.
The Procedure for Electro-Fusion Welding
The Electro-Fusion welding process consists of several steps as follows:
- Preparation of pipe ends: Cut the pipe to the desired length and chamfer or clean both ends of the pipe using a trimmer or other applicable tools. Both pipe ends must be cleaned and dust free.
- Align and pipe and fitting: Insert the pipe ends into the fitting ensuring that the pipes are not loosely fitted to the fitting.
- Apply the electric current: An electric current is passed through a conductive heating coil in the fitting, generating heat and melting the HDPE pipe and fittings together.
- Cool down: Pipes and fittings should be held in place for the appropriate amount of time allowing the pipe and fittings to cool down and fuse completely.
- Inspect the joints: After the welded joints have cooled, they should be inspected to ensure they are properly fused preventing leakage.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Electro-Fusion
There are several advantages and disadvantages to the HDPE pipe electrofusion method.
- Strong and leak-proof joint: Electrofusion creates a strong and permanent bonding between the HDPE pipe and fitting, resulting in leak-proof joints.
- High pressure rating: Electrofusion can be used to connect pipes and fittings to be used in high pressure systems.
- Efficiency: Electrofusion is a fast and efficient method for joining pipes and fittings together, which can save working time on the site.
- Specialized equipment Required: The electrofusion process requires specialized fittings with conductive heating coils.
- Require electric source: Electrofusion requires an electric power source which may not be available in every location where the pipe is being installed.
- Limited to specific pipes and fittings: Electrofusion can only be used with plastic pipes and fittings and may not be suitable for some projects.
Overall, Electrofusion is a reliable and efficient method for joining plastic pipes and fittings, but it is important to consider the specific project requirements before using it.